quality.gif

quality.gif

[email protected]

Wayne:  613-758-2238
Brad: 613-758-2030
Toll Free:  800-994-0394










 

 

 

Favourites Create PDF Email Print

FAQs

How Do I Disinfect My Well and Water System?

Author:
Tracie Marquardt
Date added:
Friday, 15 August 2008
Last revised:
Friday, 15 August 2008
Hits:
26727
Rating:
 
Vote for this:
Good - Bad
favoured:
0 Favour

Answer

 

Unused wells can develop harmful bacteria and unpleasant odors.  If you have received negative results from a water sample or are experiencing less than satisfactory water quality, the first step in resolving these problems is to disinfect your well.

Wayne B. Marquardt & Son Ltd. would be happy to assist you with your well maintenance.  However, because we frequently receive calls from the "do-it-yourselfer" requesting information on chlorinating their well, we are supplying step-by-step instructions for those who wish to tackle this process on their own.  Please note that we DO NOT recommend doing this procedure yourself, nor do we take any liability in people undertaking this procedure.  Such procedures should be performed by a licenced well technician and a water sample should be tested by your local Health Department prior to human consumption.

1.  Determine the amount of bleach (unscented Javex) that you will need for the well by checking the following table. Consult your well record or well contractor for the depth of the water in the well. It is calculated as the total depth minus the static water level. Add an extra litre of bleach to account for the volume of the hot water tank and pressure tank.

Inside Diameter of Well

Volume (in litres) of 5.25% bleach (Javex) to be used per foot (0.3 m) of water in well

Inches

mm

4

102

0.025

6

152

0.05

8

203

0.10

24

609

0.42

30

762

0.65

2.  Let sit for one hour so the bleach gets to the bottom of the well.

3.  Turn ON the outside tap.  Run water through the hose until you can smell the bleach.

4.  As soon as you smell bleach, aim hose down the well top, rinsing the inside of the well casing for 30 minutes. (This disinfects the inside of the well casing. It will also send sediment to the bottom of the well, which later may be pumped into your cottage. No need to be alarmed by this.)  Once this step is completed, turn OFF the outside tap.

5.  One at a time, turn ON each tap inside your home and run water until you can smell the bleach.

6.  Turn OFF all inside taps and let sit for 24 hours without use.

7.  After 24 hours, turn ON outside tap and let water run until you do not smell bleach. (This keeps the bleach from entering your septic tank, which could harm the healthy bacteria needed for it to function properly.)

8.  One at a time, turn ON each tap inside your home and run water until you can no longer smell the bleach.

Category

Tags for this item